Sunday, February 6, 2011

Singer/Songwriter Yestyn Griffiths - Glass Pear "Live and die by the heart / it may not have eyes like your head/ But it knows by feeling / which way to go / Every time"

Desire, love and lost feelings - the songs by singer/songwriter Yestyn Griffiths from Glass Pear are a combination of a hearbreaking voice and beautiful lyrics. I have been listening to his songs all week and I really can't stop... (Listen for yourself: http://www.glasspearmusic.com/ ).

"Say it once" and "Where is my home" are my personal favorites. Yestyn was born in Wales and he is the brother of recording artist Jem. His songs have been featured in episodes of 90210, Vampire Diaries and One Tree Hill. We will definitely hear lots more from this artist! With tradeyourtalent he speaks about the recklessness of passionate love and knowing when a song is really done.

What inspires you to your songs?

Inspiration is a mystery isn't it? I said in a recent interview that meditation inspires me. That's true. There's definitely a well of creativity that surges up when I'm deeply relaxed. But I also am inspired by witnessing all the wonderful things about life - the uncontrollable energy of children, the dignity and wisdom of old people, the recklessness of passionate love, the buzzing energy of a city, the quiet of nature...

Has it been difficult getting to where you are now?


Yes, I'd say it has been a creative ordeal! But it hasn't all been difficult. Like life, its been both joyous and challenging.


When do you know, you've just finished a great song?

Well, I don't know if I've ever written a truly great song, maybe its an illusive dream that keeps me passionate about writing. When I write a song that I love I often have a surge of emotion about it. As in the poem below, my heart knows when a song is done.


If you could give advice to young artists with just a couple of lyrics, what would you sing to them? 

Live and die by the heart
It may not have eyes like your head
But it knows by feeling
Which way to go
Every time.




Glass Pear - My Ghost

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...