Sunday, June 5, 2011

Kristen Cavallo "Cute Stories"

Kristen Cavallo is an illustrator from New York. With tradeyourtalent she speaks about comic 
strips, cute stories and why her goal is to illustrate a children's book. 

Kristen Cavallo, kristencavallo.com

You're an aspiring children's book illustrator. What would you do if could you get your first book published?

It's been a goal of mine to be a children's book illustrator or writer/illustrator.   I'd be really excited to have a book published by a major publishing company.  It would be such an honor to be apart of the Children's Illustration community.

Where do you get your inspiration from?

As a child, I used to copy the comic strips from the funny pages.  My Illustration style has evolved and is still changing as I am continually inspired. I am attracted to whimsical illustrations with quick line-drawn and textured qualities. I am a fan of children's book illustrators like Ezra Jack Keats, Miroslav Sasek, Quentin Blake, Shel Silverstein, and many others. 

Kristen Cavallo, kristencavallo.com

Which characters do you like to illustrate?

I like doodling children with personality who look like they have a funny or cute story attached to them.  I often sketch characters and then make up a back story on them.  I often wish I had more time to create finished illustrations on a lot of my quick character drawings.

If you could choose another illustrator to collaborate with, who would it be?

I love the work of, accomplished children's book illustrator, Kristin Sorra.  She and I worked together at the same company as graphic designers and she taught me a lot about illustration. She currently works as a freelance illustrator and has illustrated many children's books. One of my favorite writers is Sally Lloyd-Jones.  I briefly met her at one of her own book reading events.  I like the perspective in her writing and I love her humor--I would be very excited to illustrate one of her books.  I also love all of the Mo Willems books.

Since when do you love to draw?

I think when I was around 6 or 7 year old.  My mom is an artist and she has been a great influence and encouragement in my life and in my artistic endeavors.

Kristen Cavallo, kristencavallo.com



1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...